Monday, September 21, 2009

Birth education doll




This is about the most wonderful thing I have seen in a long time...

When I was pregnant with Ryan, I felt called to create a birth doll.

I had no idea how to construct her, but I knew I wanted her womb to be visible from the outside, and I wanted to be able to use the doll to visualize how labor would occur in my own body.

I created a womb of silk ribbon.

She is smiling and relaxed. She is in pleasure.

Shortly after my 36 hour labor (but natural!) I thought how naive I was in making this doll. But now, as I wind along in my journey as a mother and birth junkie (perhaps, one day a doula?), I know of many who have had relaxed, wondrous births. It is truly possible.

So perhaps others will see this doll and find inspiration in her wild hair, happy face, openness.

Back to Charlotte's doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment